History and Purpose:
Charles Ignatius Passe knew that hard work and education were needed to reach goals in life. He had two goals for himself; he wanted to be a successful businessman, and he wanted to give others the opportunity to be passionate in their work. He accomplished both in his lifetime, and now for eternity, by offering scholarships to vocational, trade or technology schools for faith-filled young people.
Charles Graduated from St. Felix High School in Wabasha, Minnesota and attended Dunwoody Vo-tech in Minneapolis. He invested in FI Products Company and was successful in providing decorating and paining services with new venture. He retired to Tucson in 1968 and moved to Mesa in 1981. He continued an active lifestyle by creating novelty wood crafts that were sold around the area, including Tortilla Flats and in California.
Mr. Passe established an endowment in 1994. When Charles passed away in 2000, scholarships became available for students from Christ the King Parish fulfill their hopes for the future. Since the year 2000, this fund has assisted over 30 students to apply skills and knowledge to their passion to become educated, employable, and successful.
The recipients, their families, and Christ the King Community gratefully acknowledges the generosity, thoughtfulness and sense of stewardship demonstrated by Charles Ignaius Passe. The fund is managed by the Catholic Community Foundation for Christ the King Parish.
This award is for any Christ the King parishioner that is pursuing a post high school trade or vocational education. The size of the award will be based on the number of qualified applicants.
Value and Eligibility:
The Charles Passe scholarships offered through the Catholic Community Foundation are typically in the range of $1,000 to $5,000. The number of scholarships and dollar amounts of each will be determined by the scholarship committee each year and may vary from year to year. Applicants may apply for the maximum of one academic year of expenses for tuition, class and registration fees, on campus room and board at the school which they plan to attend. Scholarships are awarded once annually each June and are paid directly to the educational institution.
Scholarships may be renewable, subject to available funding, provided that the recipient maintains a minimum grade point average of 2.0 for the preceding year and remains in good standing with the educational institution. A completed application is required each year to be considered for a renewal scholarship (reference letters are not required).
Eligibility requirements for Charles Passe Scholarship were set forth by Charles Passe, prior to his passing in 2000. Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements and demonstrate a desire to pursue trade or vocational education may apply for this scholarship. Scholarships may not be used to repay past debt or student loans.
- be an active, registered member of Christ the King Parish
- pursuing a vocational education or trade school
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for the preceding year
- be applying to attend a higher education institution (college level or above) in Arizona
Application Deadline: May 7
Completed applications must be received by or electronically submitted by 11:59 pm MST on May 7. To complete the application, reference letters must be emailed directly by the author to OR postmarked and mailed to Christ the King School. There are no extensions or exceptions.
Selection and Award Process:
All applicants who meet eligibility requirements and submit a completed application by the deadline will be considered for the scholarship by the Parish volunteer scholarship committee. Scholarship recipients will be selected after a careful evaluation of each applicant’s submission.
Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award status no later than May 30 of the same year.
Awarding of funds may be contingent upon recipients meeting various criteria. Verification of pertinent facts will be required before funds are released to the educational institution.
Instructions to apply:
Request a copy of the application from the School or Parish Office at Christ the King, or download it from the School Website at www.ctk-catholicschool.org.
Complete all components, including collecting the two specified letters of reference, and insure delivery of the complete application packet to the Christ the King School by May 7.
To complete a HARD COPY/PAPER application, all applicants must complete the following steps:
- Application: Complete the Scholarship Application, filling out all fields.
- Photo Release: Complete the Photo Release form; applicant and, if applicant is under 18 years of age, parent/guardian must sign and date in ink.
- Letter: A letter of recommendation from CTK Parish representative.
- References: If this is your first application, two letters of reference are required to complete your application. Letters may not be from family members. Suggestions for reference writers are current or previous teachers, principals, pastors, nuns, family friends, neighbors, employers, coaches, troop leaders, or community service supervisors. Tip – You may use the Request for Reference Letter form in this application packet to assist you with requesting the letters of reference.
Once you request your letters of reference from the authors and they are completed, reference letters may be submitted
- a) By “SCAN to EMAIL”, directly from the reference writer to Christ the King School at firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter must be emailed directly from the reference writer, not from the applicant, so that letters remain confidential.
- b) By MAIL (USPS) to Christ the King School Office, attention Passe Scholarship Committee.
- c) Or, have the author return the letter to you in a sealed envelope. If the letter is not in a sealed envelope, please request that the author place it in a sealed envelope before returning it to you. Then, submit the letter(s) of reference with your completed application packet. Do not mail them separately.
All letters must be originals; copies will not be accepted. Your application is not complete unless two letters of reference are received by the application deadline of May 7.
If this is not your first application, and you are applying for a second or subsequent year, include a grade report from your first semester and a status report from the second semester of school.
- Prepare an Essay:
- Type a double-spaced essay of no more than 250 words explaining why you are pursuing a vocational or trade school education, and how you hope to positively influence change with your work. You may also want to include notable accomplishments and/or compelling reasons you feel you should receive the scholarship.
- Close attention should be paid to grammar and spelling.
- Be sure to include your name on all pages of your essay.
- Insure receipt of the completed application packet no later than May 7 at:
Christ the King School Office
1551 E Dana
Mesa, AZ 85204
Applicant may confirm receipt of application packet by contacting:
Incomplete or late application packets cannot be accepted. Submitted materials will not be returned.